The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has officially opened its doors to individuals interested in becoming examiners for marking scripts (booklets) in the 2023 recruitment cycle. This presents a unique opportunity for qualified candidates to play a crucial role in the education assessment process and contribute to maintaining the integrity of examinations.
To be eligible for this esteemed position, applicants must meet specific qualifications set by WAEC. The requirements include:
- Educational Qualification: Applicants should hold a minimum of a first degree or its equivalent in a subject-related field to the subject they wish to examine.
- Teaching Experience: A minimum of two years of post-NYSC teaching experience, preferably at the Senior Secondary School level.
- Thorough Subject Knowledge: Prospective examiners must possess in-depth knowledge of the subject they intend to examine.
- Application Process: Interested individuals are required to complete the prescribed application form available at http://examiners.waecnigeria.org/Examiner/NewExaminer. The application form should be submitted along with necessary credentials to the designated marking center.
- Character Attestation: Applicants are expected to have high integrity, and an attestation to their character from their current employer is mandatory.
The selection process for WAEC examiners is meticulous and structured to ensure accuracy and consistency in marking. Before actual marking commences, a team of experts develops a comprehensive marking guide. All appointed examiners undergo thorough training in all aspects of the marking scheme through a simulated exercise known as co-ordination. This exercise ensures that examiners are well-versed in the marking requirements before they start assessing scripts.
During the marking process, examiners work in small groups, supervised by experienced Team Leaders. The Team Leaders oversee the marking progress and adherence to guidelines. These Team Leaders, in turn, are overseen by Chief Examiners, who bring further experience to the assessment process.
Upon the completion of marking, WAEC employs Checkers to verify the accuracy of marks awarded by examiners and ensure the proper transfer of scores to score sheets. This meticulous process underscores WAEC’s commitment to maintaining the credibility of its examinations.
If you’re passionate about education and wish to contribute to the academic assessment process, this opportunity to become a WAEC examiner offers a meaningful and rewarding experience. Visit the official recruitment page here to apply and be part of this vital educational endeavor.
Our Twitter Page