In a remarkable display of support for displaced individuals, the University of Sheffield has launched its fully-funded Sanctuary Scholarships program. These scholarships aim to provide educational opportunities for students who have sought refuge in the United Kingdom due to conflicts, persecution, or forced migration. Formerly known as the Asylum Seeker Scholarship, this initiative represents the university’s commitment to empowering and assisting those affected by global crises, including recent events such as the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Scholarship Benefits and Availability
The Sanctuary Scholarships offered by the University of Sheffield cover the complete cost of tuition fees and include an annual award of £9,840 to support living expenses throughout the duration of the students’ study program. This financial assistance aims to alleviate the burden on displaced students and enable them to focus on their academic pursuits.
For the upcoming academic year starting in September 2023, the university plans to award five fully-funded Sanctuary Scholarships. These scholarships are open to both undergraduate and postgraduate students pursuing taught courses at the University of Sheffield.
To be eligible for the Sanctuary Scholarships, applicants must meet specific criteria set by the university. These criteria include:
- Legal Status: Applicants should have been granted humanitarian protection or limited leave to remain in the UK. They can also be dependents or partners of individuals with humanitarian protection or limited leave to remain. Additionally, applicants or their parent/guardian/partner should be asylum seekers who have submitted a claim for refugee status within the UK and are awaiting a decision from the Home Office.
- Timely Application: Applicants must have applied for asylum upon their arrival in the UK, before applying for a place at the University of Sheffield.
- Educational Background: Applicants should currently attend a school, college, or community/voluntary group that can provide a reference in support of their application. Moreover, undergraduate applicants must be studying at the degree level in the UK for the first time. Individuals who have withdrawn from a previous course are advised to contact the Student Fees and Funding Team for further guidance.
Applicants who have exhausted all appeal rights without submitting a fresh claim for asylum or an application to remain in the UK under another immigration category are not eligible for the scholarship. Similarly, individuals with ‘no study’ immigration bail conditions or ‘restricted study’ conditions prohibiting higher education study are also ineligible.
Applying for the Sanctuary Scholarships at the University of Sheffield involves two main steps:
- Complete the Application Form: Interested students need to fill out the application form available on the university’s official website. The application deadline for the upcoming academic year is 1 pm on Monday, July 3, 2023.
- Provide a Supporting Statement: Along with the application form, applicants must submit a supporting statement from a referee at their current school, college, or community/volunteering group. This statement can be attached to the application form or sent separately via email before the deadline. The details regarding the required content of the supporting statement can be found on the university’s website.
The University of Sheffield recognizes that there may be individuals who have been displaced or affected by conflicts or persecution in their home countries but do not meet the outlined eligibility criteria. In such cases, the university encourages these individuals to reach out directly to discuss their eligibility for the Sanctuary Scholarships program. Contact details can be found on the official university website.
The University of Sheffield’s fully-funded Sanctuary Scholarships program stands as a testament to its commitment to inclusivity and support for displaced students. By providing financial assistance that covers tuition fees and living costs, the university aims to enable these students to pursue higher education and build a better future. The opportunity to study.
How to Apply?
To Apply for the University of Sheffield’s fully-funded Sanctuary Scholarships program, Click the link below;
Visit https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/funding/sanctuary-scholarships for more information on how to Apply
Join Our WhatsApp Or Telegram Group For More News, Click This Link Below;
Our Twitter Page